Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Architecture of Portrait Making


Recently, a friend who read my blog, and is clearly NOT an architect, suggested that I write about the residential design process. How do I develop a unique project for each client? What is the client / architect relationship about?

Through a series of blogs, I plan on shedding some light on how we do that at Ramsay Gourd Architects.
I have had literally hundreds of residential clients, from Habitat starter homes to New York City coops and lofts, each with their own sets of requirements, values and personal tastes. It is important to keep in mind that my role is not to create something that reflects who I am, but rather a true portrait of who my client is. Their new home should bring out the best of their personal characteristics. It should accommodate their eccentricities. And it should be a flattering reflection of who they are and how they live. This is how I judge my success in a project.

In our office, we have a motto “Provide the client with exactly what they want. –Better than they thought they could have it.” That’s a tall order. And admittedly, sometimes we do fall short. But it is a great aspiration.

By writing this series, I aim to articulate our process for designing a successful architectural portrait. I also hope that this collection of blogs is a useful tool for people considering working with a designer. If I can train them to be good clients, think what a great service I am doing for my industry!

I hope you enjoy it, and would love your feedback.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing what you write on the design process Ramsay ... It's a fascinating topic to me and I'm sure we all have different takes on it ... Our relationships with our clients and their designs do define who we are and what we build ... I think it was a Kinks song that had the line 'give the people what they want', which has been our mantra over the last 30 years ... I have also added three other important guidelines, particularly for when I am working with new clients ..
    #1 listen
    #2 listen
    #3 listen
    I thought your book illustrations were great !

    dan mosheim, dorsetcustomfurniture.com

    ReplyDelete