Thursday, February 18, 2010

Favorite Colors


As a father of young children, I have often heard the question posed “What is your favorite color?” I would undoubtedly respond in an inclusive nature “I like ALL colors. Each for a different reason.” Well, if that doesn’t sound like the good Lord commenting on His children, I don’t know what does!

The truth is, that’s not far off the mark. Yesterday I was in a meeting reviewing a material pallet for the interiors of a commercial project in Burlington, VT. When the client pulled out a paint fan deck and said “This is sort of the direction I was headed.” I paused and gathered my thoughts before responding. The colors he proposed were lively and invigorating, and worked well with the carpet sample he brought. This was a good idea, as the space is quasi-basement, and lacks natural light. When compared with the colors I had selected in the space, they made my recommendations look drab and un-interesting.

Later that day, I went to the space again, armed with paint chips and carpet samples. While I found that my scheme had a soothing effect and could use a little more visual enthusiasm, my client’s scheme became jarring and unsettling in the actual space in question. Here’s why.

We were looking at color schemes in our studio, which has 12-foot ceilings and large windows of indirect daylight, supplemented with halogen lighting. When I brought the samples downstairs, not only did we have short ceilings with hot spots of fluorescent lighting, but the space was punctuated with fabulous accents of centuries-old brick. The existing brick and the given light source were our starting point. The color scheme had to use them as the one known constant to the color equation that would best work to meet their needs.

Color is not a constant. The way our brains register the reflection of light off of a surface has as much to do with the colors and surfaces that are adjacent as they do with the color and quality of the light that is being reflected. To learn more about this, I highly recommend Joseph Albers’ book The Interaction of Color. Having a favorite color is like having a favorite ingredient. I love chocolate, but it looses its appeal when combined with garlic and cod-liver oil!

No comments:

Post a Comment